A billionaire businessman with questionable business dealings and morals as POTUS is a corporate-lobbyist’s wet dream. Trump is openly-racist and a part of the populace likes that. Black power and pride movements may start with full force. An almost segregation like situation may gradually develop. He would alienate a lot of Western Europe, China, India as well as the Far East in addition to Mexico and Canada. It is possible that… countries may start ramping up military spending simply because they can no longer expect protection from the US. NATO could be severely weakened and Europe would be viewing the US with fear. Trump with a republican-congress and senate-support could flex his (military) muscles. This could be followed by (more) war in the Middle East.
Answer by Koushik Venkatasubramanian:
As a President, your “pros” don’t matter as much as the “cons”.:
- Lobbying: A billionaire businessman with questionable business dealings and morals as POTUS is a corporate lobbyist’s wet dream. As such, lobbying has wreaked havoc with a beautiful and bountiful country. With Republicans controlling Congress anyway, it is likely that lobbying would see an uptick. So much so that the food industry has managed to get pizza classified as a “vegetable” so that it can be served in schools. Next up, they’ll lobby for a McDonalds burger to be classified as a fruit and get it done. Scrapping the EPA, drilling for oil in national parks and reduction in food stamps is likely. Unions could loose the little power they already have. Wall Street will rejoice as the likes of Goldman Sachs would take unheard off risks and assume government bailouts as some kind of a right. Arms manufacturers could lobby for a bigger army and larger contracts. Healthcare industry would clamor for scrapping Obamacare and a free for all “survival of the fittest” type of healthcare system. Public schooling may be done away with gradually and replaced with a fee based model. The Firearms industry may start a “Guns for all” campaign in schools, thanks to reduction in firearm ownership legal age limit reduction.
- Overt Racism: Trump is openly racist and a part of the populace likes that. It isn’t America alone, but world over, every country has its fair share of racists and xenophobes. Trump himself doesn’t have to make such policies to threaten minorities and non-white ethnicities. The very fact that he is President would embolden closet racists to come out and create havoc in public. Racists within the police force could use violence to take out their wrath, knowing that the country’s leader is likely to back them and make statements. Leniency is expected while dealing with racial crimes, not because of laws, but because of his posture. Ku Klux Klan registrations may open up, mosques and temples may be vandalized and black areas may get more severely ghettoized further. They’re likely to start protecting themselves with guns and rocket launchers. Regular skirmishes between the police and these groups may erupt. Black power and pride movements may start with full force. An almost segregation like situation may gradually develop.
- Diplomacy: It is a fine art. And it involves nuance. Loud and foul mouthed Trump has none of it. In fact, if anything he is the opposite of a diplomat. It is likely that he would alienate a lot of Western Europe, China, India as well as the Far East in addition to Mexico and Canada. It is possible that both countries may start ramping up military spending simply because they can no longer expect protection from the US. NATO could be severely weakened and Europe would be viewing the US with fear. Germany and France could quickly build up armies. Especially Germany, given its high levels of industrialization and efficiency.
- Alienation: Large sections of American society including African-Americans, all other hyphenated Americans, gay people and legal immigrants from around the world would feel threatened. A lot of them could potentially seek opportunities outside the US and start a reverse brain drain. One of the great things about America is the ability of the country to attract talent (despite its immigration laws). This would wither for the 4 years of Trump presidency. And die if there is another four, God forbid.
- Military: Trump with a republican congress and senate support could flex his muscles with a small country to begin with. This could be followed by war in the Middle East. If it’s Iran, god help the world. NATO could be severely weakened. More military spending might be seen as an aggressive act by the rest of the world. China could grow closer to Europe as the next biggest power and may be given opportunity to start setting up bases internationally. India may also follow suit. The USS “Trump” may get started while he sits in office.Overall, it is likely that the world, leave alone the US would be seeing the devastating effects of a Trump presidency for decades after. And it isn’t going to be a pretty sight.