• Citigroup releases report sounding alarm klaxon envisioning the death-knell and penultimate end of the current geopolitical world order •
2016 has begun, as 2015 ended, amid a significant worsening of the global political climate and with it, considerable volatility in financial markets. Investors and businesses are aware of the need to understand the drivers and the implications of a greater level of event risk exacerbated by shifting social patterns.
There’s little sign of this trend of political risk cutting across advanced and emerging-economies reversing. It’s unlikely that the moderate global growth that Citi’s economists forecast as their central scenario will dampen these risks. The data we’ve analyzed; viewed with our combined knowledge in comparative political science and international relations and security and defense analysis; underscores how, by many measures, these risks are on the rise and indeed could endanger even the already modest prospects for global growth
Political and business leaders will need to be more attuned to the new shape of global political risk, a paradigm shift that means that previous-policies will fail to keep pace and uncertainty will remain high, with the potential to interact in unexpected-ways. Among the key implications of this more fragile and interconnected risk outlook is that ‘Black Swan’ events — in this case, geopolitical events producing instability spanning several orders of magnitude — may be both more likely and more difficult for leaders and global financial institutions to resolve.
Over the long-term, failure to devise policies to address middle class anxiety and declining living standards increases the likelihood that Vox Populi risk — including mass protests and government collapses — could move from being episodically-disruptive to systemic; undermining globalization in the process. We’re deeply concerned that the political-capital necessary to stem the refugee crisis and terrorist threat, perhaps best-characterized as the collision between previous foreign-policy failures and current governance capacity, exceeds that available to government leaders, who have relied upon central banks to manage the lion’s share of global crises over the past several years. 2016 could be a very political year for markets.
Todd Akira Morikawa
- Follow Akira Morikawa on WordPress.com
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets
- Louis C.K. breaks silence on sexual assault allegations: 'These stories are true' • r/television
- The good news is the housing market is on the rebound. • r/funny
- Somewhere out there there's two bots matched on tinder that are still locked in conversation, spamming each other with phone numbers and cam site links • r/Showerthoughts
- World's witnessing a new Gilded Age as billionaires’ wealth swells to $6tn - The world’s super-rich hold the greatest concentration of wealth since the US Gilded Age at the turn of the 20th century, when families like the Carnegies, Rockefellers and Vanderbilts controlled vast fortunes. • r/worldnews
- Neil Gorsuch: Scalia's views on the Constitution aren't 'going anywhere on my watch' • r/The_Donald
- Live honestly. Work hard. Meet a nice girl. Love her. Marry her. Never touch another woman. Win all along and for the rest of your life. • r/The_Donald
- [WP] You are on a time travelers game show. To play the game, you travel back and change important moments in history, being awarded points for the difficulty and overall impact of the change. You just broke the high score. • r/WritingPrompts
- Apple Inc diversity chief fired for saying being minority is not enough criteria for determining diversity... • r/The_Donald
- TIL - In 1984 Ronald Reagan sent the Soviet Army on high alert after saying "We begin bombing in five minutes" while doing a sound check. • r/todayilearned
- Houston Area Woman Driving Around with Giant F Trump Sticker in Window Arrested for Fraud Warrant. LOL • r/The_Donald
- COMING TO A FEMALE NEAR YOU! The Groping Dems! • r/The_Donald
- Marilyn photographed by Carl Perutz, 1958. • r/OldSchoolCool
- Its Friday • r/funny
- FRANKEN/STEIN 2020: Grope & Change™ • r/The_Donald
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
Akira Morikawa’s Goodreads
- 6,788 hits
Top Posts & Pages
- The Persistent, enduring Mythology of SAW and the new Religion of John Kramer (JIGSAW)
- Kellyanne Conway is a Star
- What is the unsubstantiated salacious information that Kremlin has on Trump?
- One night in Paris (Paris Hilton) | Redtube Free Blonde Porn Videos, Amateur Movies & Clips
- What's the craziest thing you saw while in combat?
- If you were alone in your bedroom with a naked woman laying on your bed, would you have sex with her?
- Russia Presents Evidence Against US, UK and Israel As Being the Actual 9/11 Terrorist
Rock the Vote