“Prostitution is a seesaw of supply and demand: the customer pays for what he wants and hasn’t already got (no matter why) and the prostitute supplies it. An indirect food-sex equation of sorts emerges. The working girl [um, or guy] wants money; the customer wants sex. Money buys food; a hunger for sex works out to be the equivalent of a hunger for food. Oversimplified, yes… but prostitution, as women who work at it will tell you, is work like any other, and the reason we all work — whether or not we like what we do — is to put dinner on the table and to pay the rent.”
— Bunny Crumpacker (The Sex Life of Food)
Like restaurant dining, prostitution is a thrill. I can be a new me, if only for hour-long shifts.
That’s not to say that food and sex are the same. Restaurants and food are hedonistic, yes. Pleasure-giving, absolutely. They are not erotic.
People can live without sex. Food is different. Food gives life; sex gives humanity. That is sex’s singular power. I made a crippling mistake conflating the two. I thought that sex, stripped of love or even affection, could be utilitarian, a trade and nothing more. You can slap lipstick on a roasted suckling pig, but that pig is still just dinner.
‘What do you want?’
“Well, I need to eat.”
Todd Akira Morikawa
- Follow Akira Morikawa on WordPress.com
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets
- WSJ Reporter Investigating Hillary Clinton, Found Dead • r/The_Donald
- A Liberal Movement I Can Get Behind • r/The_Donald
- Two Republicans and a truck • r/The_Donald
- The kind left! Imagine if anyone ever said this about the Obamas • r/The_Donald
- The One Number That Shows Why Climate Change Is Making Hurricane Season Worse: '...the air can hold 7% more water with every degree Celsius that the temperature rises.' • r/worldnews
- Hurricane Irma upgraded to Category 5 • r/news
- Florida Declares State Of Emergency As Category 4 Hurricane Irma Barrels Straight For Miami. FLOTUS Ready to Re-Deploy Stilettos • r/The_Donald
- (via 10+ Epic Photos From Burning Man 2017 That Prove It’s...
- WOW! The Media is stepping up their attack on Taylor Swift for not talking about Trump. The Meida's angle? Go after one of Swift's Dancers that is black and openly gay and call him a "sellout"! Front Page of Yahoo. Unbelievable! • r/The_Donald
- I am a 21 year old girl taking medical marijuana for my Tourette Syndrome, AMA! • r/IAmA
- Giving every adult in the United States a $1,000 cash handout per month would grow the economy by $2.5 trillion by 2025, according to a new study on universal basic income. • r/Futurology
- These 7 Forces Are Changing the World at an Extraordinary Rate
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
Akira Morikawa’s Goodreads
- 6,607 hits
Top Posts & Pages
Rock the Vote