If Ted Cruz is a beer, Donald J. Trump is a shot of whiskey. He’s a distillation of the rhetorical-techniques and tactics that have made Senator Ted Cruz a Tea Party darling. Ted Cruz is a big figure in national politics. So is Chris Christie. Mike Huckabee is a cable television host. These are men who are used to commanding a room, and on stage with Donald Trump they all seem about 8″. Trump may know nothing about politics, but he knows about television and he knows about self-promotion. He’s spent his adult life being criticized for tasteless self-promotion, but it’s never stopped him
Challenged by Megyn Kelly about the demeaning-way he treats women (i.e. Donald’s implying he’d love to see Brande Roderick (former Playboy Playmate contestant on The Celebrity Apprentice) ‘on her knees,’ Trump doesn’t back down; responding with a dig at old-foe Rosie O’Donnell, unflinchingly-defending his conduct.
*Brande, for her part says she ‘doesn’t remember’ any disparaging and/or sexist comments; ‘I’ve always had a positive experience around Donald. He’s always been encouraging. He’s never been disrespectful to me. He’s trying to be funny’*
‘The big problem this country has is being politically correct,’ Donald says. The audience laughs, cheers, and the camera cut back to Megyn Kelly’s bemused-expression. That happens several times: A Trump answer, an audience-cheer, and a shot of a moderator barely concealing their frustration.
Trump again makes an offensive and sexist comment about Megyn Kelly, to the delight of pundits saying this is the end, that surely no candidate could survive it. Once again they’re wrong; once again Trump rises in the polls – because the pundits don’t understand that what Republican voters want is not a courteous (and erudite) statesman, but a demagogue who will stand against liberal-oppression. That’s a part Trump is happy to play, and the more he plays it, the more his lead will solidify.
Todd Akira Morikawa
- Follow Akira Morikawa on WordPress.com
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets
- Louis C.K. breaks silence on sexual assault allegations: 'These stories are true' • r/television
- The good news is the housing market is on the rebound. • r/funny
- Somewhere out there there's two bots matched on tinder that are still locked in conversation, spamming each other with phone numbers and cam site links • r/Showerthoughts
- World's witnessing a new Gilded Age as billionaires’ wealth swells to $6tn - The world’s super-rich hold the greatest concentration of wealth since the US Gilded Age at the turn of the 20th century, when families like the Carnegies, Rockefellers and Vanderbilts controlled vast fortunes. • r/worldnews
- Neil Gorsuch: Scalia's views on the Constitution aren't 'going anywhere on my watch' • r/The_Donald
- Live honestly. Work hard. Meet a nice girl. Love her. Marry her. Never touch another woman. Win all along and for the rest of your life. • r/The_Donald
- [WP] You are on a time travelers game show. To play the game, you travel back and change important moments in history, being awarded points for the difficulty and overall impact of the change. You just broke the high score. • r/WritingPrompts
- Apple Inc diversity chief fired for saying being minority is not enough criteria for determining diversity... • r/The_Donald
- TIL - In 1984 Ronald Reagan sent the Soviet Army on high alert after saying "We begin bombing in five minutes" while doing a sound check. • r/todayilearned
- Houston Area Woman Driving Around with Giant F Trump Sticker in Window Arrested for Fraud Warrant. LOL • r/The_Donald
- COMING TO A FEMALE NEAR YOU! The Groping Dems! • r/The_Donald
- Marilyn photographed by Carl Perutz, 1958. • r/OldSchoolCool
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
Akira Morikawa’s Goodreads
- 6,855 hits
Top Posts & Pages
Rock the Vote