‘I’ve had moose stew.’ Hillary Clinton is private and guarded by nature, and 3 decades of being inspected like an exotic-species has made her even more so. Now, in the early days of what will be a 19-month campaign for The White House, she is trying to share and expound on her experiences, to project some greater-measure of herself, big and small. This does not come easily; Hillary has resided at the center of so many scandals, psychodramas and culture wars that it’s hard to even keep track of them all, let alone know what the person within that bubble of attention is actually like.
Hillary sees her public-identity in terms of the battles she has endured. Quoting Eleanor Roosevelt‘s saying that Women in politics need ‘to develop skin as tough as rhinoceros hide.’ In 2007, she expanded; ‘I joke that I have the scars to show from my experiences, but you know, our scars are part of us; and they are a reminder of the experiences we’ve gone through, and our history. I am constantly making sure that the rhinoceros-skin still breathes. And that’s a challenge that all of us face. But again, not all of us have to live it out in public.’
And therein lies the rub. For those who aspire to public service (and scrutiny) an endless array of paparazzi, reporters, writers, challengers, rabble-rousers, hecklers, interlopers, naysayers (and legions of adoring fans, supporters, and would be friends and rescuers) await. ’The level of relentless-scrutiny that now stalks not just people in politics but people in all kinds of public arenas… It gives you a sense of being kind of dehumanized, I guess;’ says Hillary.
‘I’ve gone through three and a half metamorphoses and am beginning to feel as though there is a smorgasbord of personalities spread before me; so far, I’ve used alienated academic, involved pseudo-hippie, educational and social reformer and one-half of withdrawn simplicity;’ Hillary wrote in April 1967.
‘You know,’ Hillary says; heading off to a diner, ‘I love parades.’
But she’ll still fight for you.
Todd Akira Morikawa
- Follow Akira Morikawa on WordPress.com
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets
- Louis C.K. breaks silence on sexual assault allegations: 'These stories are true' • r/television
- The good news is the housing market is on the rebound. • r/funny
- Somewhere out there there's two bots matched on tinder that are still locked in conversation, spamming each other with phone numbers and cam site links • r/Showerthoughts
- World's witnessing a new Gilded Age as billionaires’ wealth swells to $6tn - The world’s super-rich hold the greatest concentration of wealth since the US Gilded Age at the turn of the 20th century, when families like the Carnegies, Rockefellers and Vanderbilts controlled vast fortunes. • r/worldnews
- Neil Gorsuch: Scalia's views on the Constitution aren't 'going anywhere on my watch' • r/The_Donald
- Live honestly. Work hard. Meet a nice girl. Love her. Marry her. Never touch another woman. Win all along and for the rest of your life. • r/The_Donald
- [WP] You are on a time travelers game show. To play the game, you travel back and change important moments in history, being awarded points for the difficulty and overall impact of the change. You just broke the high score. • r/WritingPrompts
- Apple Inc diversity chief fired for saying being minority is not enough criteria for determining diversity... • r/The_Donald
- TIL - In 1984 Ronald Reagan sent the Soviet Army on high alert after saying "We begin bombing in five minutes" while doing a sound check. • r/todayilearned
- Houston Area Woman Driving Around with Giant F Trump Sticker in Window Arrested for Fraud Warrant. LOL • r/The_Donald
- COMING TO A FEMALE NEAR YOU! The Groping Dems! • r/The_Donald
- Marilyn photographed by Carl Perutz, 1958. • r/OldSchoolCool
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
Akira Morikawa’s Goodreads
- 6,857 hits
Top Posts & Pages
- One night in Paris (Paris Hilton) | Redtube Free Blonde Porn Videos, Amateur Movies & Clips
- What is the unsubstantiated salacious information that Kremlin has on Trump?
- What's the craziest thing you saw while in combat?
- Carl Icahn rails against the tyranny of the majority; blasts a corrupt-system of insider-trading and corporate kick-backs; rotten to it's core.
Rock the Vote