Unfriending someone on Facebook may be as easy as clicking a button, but a new study from the University of Colorado Denver shows the repercussions often reach far beyond cyberspace.
• If the person discussed the event after it happened.
• If the emotional response to the unfriending was extremely negative.
• If the person unfriended believed the action was due to offline behavior.
• The geographical distance between the two.
• If the troubled relationship was discussed prior to the unfriending.
• How strong the person valued the relationship before the unfriending.
(Predictors as to whether someone will continue to avoid a person who unfriended them (in the future)).
○ Women said they would avoid contact more than men.
• Frequent, unimportant posts.
• Polarizing posts usually about politics or religion.
• Inappropriate posts involving sexist, racist remarks
• Boring everyday life posts about children, food, spouses, pets, etc.
(4 reasons why people are unfriended on Facebook)